[c-nsp] Slammer (1434) attack

Amol Sapkal amolsapkal at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 07:53:59 EST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:09:29 -0800, Tim Stevenson <tstevens at cisco.com> wrote:
> Yes, you should NOT use ACL w/log keyword in this version, everything
> matching the ACE(s) with "log" will be punted to the CPU.
>
> With this code, there are not as many options as w/later code (or later
> supervisors), such as h/w rate limiting of traffic punted due to ACL logging.
>
> But, do you have icmp unreachables or redirects enabled on your vlan
> interfaces? ACL drops are all done in the h/w, but if you have unreachables
> or redirects enabled on sup2, we leak a small # of packets to the CPU
> (.5pps per vlan). (Assume this is straight IOS, not CatOS/IOS...)
>
> This means that the s/w netflow options others suggested will work for you
> (ie, enabling ip route-cache flow on the vlan i/fs & either monitoring at a
> NF collector, or on the box itself w/sh ip cache flow). If unreachables and
> redirects are off though, nothing gets punted and you won't see any stats here.

I am not sure of how ACLs are processed on normal routers, but I
remember reading on a site that 'on a cat 65xxACLs are processed in
hardware and so the length of ACLs do not affect the performance of
the swith'.

Now I am unsure whether access-list logging has anything to do with
the load on the cpu. How is it going to affect the performance of the
switch. And interestingly, what happens in case of a router like a
75xx, incase logging is enabled?

> Note that we do install NF entries in the h/w as well even for ACL denied
> flows, but stats are not incremented & so no export occurs for them. But
> you can do sh mls ip to see the flows. But this might be cumbersome to do,
> since you'll see all flows, not just those punted to s/w as above, and cuz
> the output is split over 2 lines so | filters aren't going to work as well

Are you saying that irrespective of what is configured in the ACL, the
packets arriving on an i/f will be showing up in the 'sh ip cache
flow' (but with a NULL destn)?

--
Warm Regds,

Amol Sapkal