[c-nsp] Sharing a PRI

Bob Tinkelman bob at tink.com
Fri Dec 31 14:45:26 EST 2004

I have a client who wants to do something in an area I have
very little experience.

He has a cisco 5300 being used to provide old-fashioned
dial-up Internet access, with a single PRI (obviously to a
pretty small set of users).

He has a small PBX that he's planning to upgrade so that it
can accept a PRI.

What he'd like to do is to find some way to share the PRI.
His picture is some sort of magic box (a micro-switch?) that
would sit in the middle of everything,

   Telco----????----PBX

            5300

handle some calls itself and pass through others as appropriate.

Before researching this, I thought I should find out if the
box he has (the 5300 with all its spare ports) could actually
do this itself, as in:

   Telco----5300----PBX

I was hoping so, given that I think I remember seeing marketing
brochures that suggest, in a VoIP situation, you can do

   Telco----5300----Internet----5300----PBX

In any case, I'm totally out of my area of experience (let
alone area of expertise :-) and figured I should ask, hoping the
answer is something like  "Of course you can, just see
http://www.cisco.com....somthing-or-other... "

--
Bob Tinkelman <bob at tink.com>
ISPnet, Inc.    718.464.4747