[nsp] VLAN Traffic shaping not working on 6500

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Tue Feb 3 18:12:11 EST 2004

6500 does not do any *shaping*, it does policing/rate limiting. In other words, we won't "smooth out a bursty flow" by buffering traffic, we basically put a hard cap on usage.

Both sup1 & sup2 support *ingress* policing only, and you need to make sure you are using the right combination of CLI commands to accomplish this, otherwise it won't work or won't work as expected. There should be some example configs on cisco.com in the support area, or use the config guide (which admittedly can be a bit hard to follow).

Sup720 supports ingress & egress policing, but do note on egress that it is aggregate policing only and only on a per-routed (L3) interface or per VLAN basis only, *not* on a per-Layer 2 switch port basis.

Tim

At 02:28 PM 2/3/2004, cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net observed:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759