[nsp] OSPF Area Design

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Feb 25 21:21:55 EST 2004

On Feb 25, 2004, at 7:34 PM, Vandy Hamidi wrote:

> Matt, thanks for the great reply, that's what I was thinking too.
> The dedicated internet connections at our remote offices are not on
> the same routers as the frame relay.  It's typically:
>    ISP-----Router----FW-----Router----Frame-Relay full mesh
>                           Office LAN
>
> Couple other considerations:
> the 4 remote offices are on the east coast and the main is on the west
> with the 2 data centers.
> 1) I want the default routes needed by the east coast offices routed
> to internet capable sites on the east coast.  Because I have fully
> meshed 1.5Mbps, OSPF may consider our New York site as close to our
> San Francisco office as it is to the Chicago office (same hop-count
> and bandwidth).  NY's internet traffic may be routed across a 70ms
> link to exit at SF instead of the 20ms link to CH.  How do I keep the
> internet traffic going over closest link.

You can handle that with some local preference settings so the CH link
is favored over the SF link so long as both are up.

> 2) We want the DC's IP's to be routable from the offices as well, but
> it isn't directly connected to the WAN Cloud/FR Net.  I want to avoid
> using virtual OSPF links if possible.  How can I accomplish that?

How is the DC office connected to your network?  Does it VPN in?  If
so, can the VPN device run OSPF to announce routes from connected
clients?

> Can I have two separate instances of OSPF and inject the DC's routes
> into the other?

You can have separate OSPF areas on the same router