[nsp] # of NAT translations via SNMP in IOS

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Mon Jan 12 20:56:31 EST 2004

I have got my a$$ roasted on many lists for being an ISP that runs NAT on a
large scale for stupid customers....

We have several edge routers that run a _lot_ of NAT, and without this:

ip nat translation timeout 300
ip nat translation tcp-timeout 600
ip nat translation finrst-timeout 120
ip nat translation syn-timeout 300
ip nat translation icmp-timeout 120

Their CPUs go haywire.

Not an SNMP solution, but if you choke NAT down to reasonable values, it
seems to be fine for us for thousands of simultaneous customers.

Dan.