[nsp] Cisco LC MM SFPs

Antoine Versini vox at t-online.fr
Wed Jan 14 15:44:08 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 Rajeshbansal9 at aol.com wrote:

> Anyone tried using non Cisco "stamped" LC MM SFPs in 6500. I found out that
> Finisar makes it fr Cisco also but want to make sure if there are any issues
> with running non Cisco "stamped" LC MM SFPs.

Raj,

I tried inserting Finisar's SFP GBICs in a 6500/7600 and the ports were
err-disabled and reported as "faulty" with connector "unaproved".

I know Finisar is a main GBIC provider for Cisco, but Finisar's politic is
not to sell directly to Cisco's customers. Serial numbers are hardcoded in
an embedded EPROM within the GBIC and if the GBIC has a S/N out of IOS
known ranges, it will be disabled.

--
Antoine Versini                           «Deep Impact, eh !»
IP Networks Project Manager / T-Online France - Club-Internet