[nsp] RED_ZONE Limit?

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Wed Jan 21 23:53:12 EST 2004

> > crude pseudo-code:
> >
> > do_until_whatever
> > 	var out-of-bounds int
> > 	set out-of-bounds = 0
> > 	var overrun boolean
> > 	set overrun false
> > 	set out-of-bounds=diff(buffer-len - data-len)
> > 	if out-of-bounds .le. 0	set overrun true
> > 	if oveerun call overrun-handler
> > end_if
> >
> > how hard is that?
>
> to be fair, CatOS has more than 9 lines and 1 buffer :)

Right; if we did do_until_whatever for *every write to memory*, how
bad would that suck?  Any reasonable computer scientist will tell you
you can't check for every possible error condition with every action
every time in anything close to a real-time system.  There are
certainly things one can do to limit stuff like buffer overruns (and
we really do do them - despite what some may think, we really do
occasionally hire a systems programmer who might understand something
about how to write C), but what you propose above doesn't scale.

Never mind questions like "how do you know your sanity check is itself
sane?"  This is one reason sanity checkers are Hard - not Impossible,
but certainly not trivial.

eric