[nsp] NPE-G1

Warren Kumari, PhD, CCIE# 9190 warren at kumari.net
Fri Jan 30 20:36:53 EST 2004

Actually, I tested both the NSE-100 and the NPE-G100. For pure speed,
the NSE-100 (with the right code on it and under the right conditions)
was really fast. Unfortunately the right conditions meant making sure
that you ONLY used things that were PXF accelerated! In a purely static
environment with thing tuned just so, we managed to get fairly close to
the quotes 3.5Mpps (by purely static I mean no routing protocols and
not touching the console / logging in / breathing). If the PXF complex
crashed (not uncommon!) or you changed anything that made the box
unable to use the PXF for forwarding, the performance dropped to
200,000-300,000pps. Unfortunately, finding out what is PXF accelerated
and what is not is not always easy. Eg.

Example1:
class-map match-all MatchDSCPACL
   match access-group name MatchDSCP
!
ip access-list extended MatchDSCP
  permit ip any any dscp ef
!

Example2:

class-map match-all MatchDSCP
   match  dscp ef

Example 1 is PXF accelerated, but Example 2 is not. (The Example 2 does
the same thing as Example 1, but in the version of code that I tested,
matching on DSCP in the class map instead of matching on an ACL that
matches on DSCP means that the CPU needs to touch the packets). If you
use Example 1, the PXF will do all of the QoS quite happily, but at
high packet rates the PXF sends so many statistics records that the CPU
becomes overwhelmed. (We had the PXF running at around 30-40%
utilization, but the processor hit 100% and then the box died - I have
heard that his issue is being addressed and statistics will be
aggregated by the PXF before being handed to the CPU).

There are some other weird things with the NSE-100, for example, IOS
upgrades. The PXF is actually implmented in an FPGA and the PXF code is
bundled with the IOS. If you upgrade IOS, it needs to upgrade the
FPGAs, which is a really time-consuming operation (something like 15
minutes) during which time the device is not forwarding. If you lose
power / the device crashes during the FPGA upgrade they can become
corrupt, requiring an RMA.

There were many other just weird things like commands suddenly not
working, ACLs not matching correctly until a reload. Another thing that
annoys me about the 7304 is that in order to install second routing
engine you loose 2 slots, so you have have a single NPE device with 4
slots of a fully redundant box with 2 slots...

Warren.

On Jan 29, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Andrew Fort wrote:

> Warren Kumari wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think you may be speaking about the NPE-G100, not the NPE-G1. The
>> 7304 takes the NPE-G100 and the 7206 takes the NPE-G1 (with has the
>> I/O controller built in!).  I have had some very bad experiences with
>> the 7304, mainly in lab tests (with the box under high load applying
>> or removing an ACL would have no effect), but also some crashes in
>> production.
>

> Although you're implying it, were your bad experiences with 7304 with
> NSE-100, or with NPE-G100?   In the (limited) testing I've been
> involved with (on both cards), the NSE-100 card underimpressed, while
> the NPE-G100 showed stable in comparison, certainly in terms of 'pure
> routing' performance (i.e., no tunneling or associated encapsulation).
>  I didn't perform the test you did, though :).  This mirrors 7200
> NSE-1 (and C10k5) experiences I've had.  It would seem that the PXF
> platforms require very intensive testing of the target environment,
> moreso than usual.

American Non-Sequitur Society;
we don't make sense, but we do like pizza!