[[nsp] Cisco & Nortel GBIC Compatible

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Jul 9 08:10:05 EDT 2004

"Martin Robinson" <Martin at networkhardware.com> writes:

> Just a quick question, are Cisco and Nortel GBIC's interchangeable...
> any know issues???

 Sorryn, I don't know answer to you question. Instead: a Cisco
 representative told me that they are changing IOS (CatOS has not
 accepted non-Cisco GBICs ever, according to my experience) in way
 that it would not accept any other than Cisco labelled GBICs.

 I think they want to have all the money they can from their customers
 who would otherwise by cheaper GBICs. The official reason was that
 they are not able to support customers who use 3rd party GBICs etc.

--
- Matti -