[c-nsp] 2950 Performance Problem

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 15:17:58 EDT 2004

Joe Goldberg wrote:

>I have a couple of 2950 switches in my data center that we are evaluating.
>I am getting terrible performance on them.

Things that spring to mind include:
- Check for errors both ends of all links. (I.e. on the 6509 and the
servers as well as the 2950) I guess you already have done this, but I
thought I'd mention just in case. :-)
- Try continuous pings, look for dropped packets vs. high RTT. In
particular, try very large pings. (2k per ping should do)
- Try putting two ports in the same VLAN, and measure performance across
those two ports. This will narrow down the fault to the 2950/6509 link
and the 2950 itself.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time