[c-nsp] Cisco+IP+ACCouting

Ejay Hire ejay.hire at isdn.net
Sat Jul 24 09:21:09 EDT 2004

Yes.  The official Cisco product name escapes me, but we use
Netflow with (open-source) Cflowd for data collection and
FlowScan for meaningful interpretation.  We also have
something else ?CampusIO? That draws a pretty picture of
what protocols are using bandwidth, in and out.

If you build this, the box will need a serious amount of
hard disk space.  For us, a month of netflow data approaches
30GB.

If you are looking to do this for reporting, baseline, and
troubleshooting, go for it.    It's great to identify a
traffic pattern for the worm de jour, and in ten minutes
have a list of customers that need a phone call.

If you are looking to do this for accounting (i.e. Usage
based billing) purposes, I'd look at Mrtg/rrd instead. It's
a better fix for the task, IMHO.

-Ejay

Prit
> Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 7:36 AM
> To: Vipul Ramani
> Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco+IP+ACCouting
>
> I have posted the same query again but have not rcvd any
> responce so far.
>
> Regards
> Prit
>
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:14:48 +0530, Vipul Ramani
> <vipulramani at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cheers,
> >             hi all ciscoies, well i have 1 Cisco cmts ,
on this cmts
> > there so many diffrent ip class gw is bind .
> >
> > 172.16.1.0/24
> > 192.168.2.0/24
> > Does it is possbile we get report of all ip traffic
protocol lilke
> > what is usage of this
> > 172.16.1.0/24 ip pool or ip wise usaseg and , if any one
do
> let me me
> > know i tired with cipaf but it does not fulfilled my
requirement if
> > any one do this stuff with Cisco Netflow than pl let me
know