[c-nsp] Cat 6509

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Thu Jul 29 16:08:59 EDT 2004

See inline:

At 09:03 AM 7/29/2004, cisco-nsp-request at puck.nether.net observed:
>Message: 6
>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:21:59 -0700
>From: "Voll, Scott" <Scott.Voll at wesd.org>
>Subject: [c-nsp] Cat 6509
>To: "Cisco Nsp" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
>
>I'm upgrading my 6509 and would like to know a couple of things.
>
>I currently have 1800W power supplies.  If I put them on 220v would that
>make them a 2500w?

No. Actually, this is a 1300W supply (ie, 1300W power is actually available
to the system). It is not an auto-ranging supply.

>I have bought 2500 watt power supplies.  Can I pull out one of my 1800w
>power supplies and put in one of the 2500 watt power supplies then do
>the other one (hot swap style)?

Yes, you can. Assuming you are running in redundant mode (not combined
mode) and everything is currently powered up, then 1 PS should be adequate
to power the system while you make this change.

>Is the Fan Blade hot swappable?

Yes, but you should do it as quickly as possible to prevent automatic
system shutdown (would take several minutes before overheating).

Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759