[c-nsp] can't be -- output discards on 6500 gig-e

Marcel Lammerse lammerse at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 30 16:31:48 EDT 2004

If the polling interval of typical commands is just too large to detect
queues filling up on the interface, you could configure an output CAR
policy that matches your maximum output rate and has an exceed action
of permit.

Here's an example :

conf t
int ser 0
rate-limit output 100000 15000 15000 conform-action transmit
exceed-action transmit
end

then, watch the traffic with

cisco-adsl#sh int seri0 rate-limit
Serial0
   Output
     matches: all traffic
       params:  96000 bps, 15000 limit, 15000 extended limit
       conformed 0 packets, 0 bytes; action: transmit
       exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; action: transmit
       last packet: 1949010612ms ago, current burst: 0 bytes
       last cleared 00:01:15 ago, conformed 0 bps, exceeded 0 bps
cisco-adsl#

And see if you see packets exceeding the policy.

The router's polling interval for car is much much more granular than
any snmp polling or show interface command you could ever do.

-Marcel