[nsp] High-availabity GigE connection to two switches

Arnold Nipper arnold at nipper.de
Tue Jun 1 16:35:07 EDT 2004

On 01.06.2004 22:22 Tony Li wrote:

>>> Any suggestions on how to provide high-availability to a server
>>> that has two network cards, each one connected to a different
>>> switch ? Etherchannel doesn't seem to apply here, unfortunately.
>>> (Switch is either a Cat4K or a Cat6k)
>

> My preference would be to take the obvious approach and make them two
> separate subnets.  But then I'm weird...

But that might lead to problems with ARP. I've a /23 here and some
connect to the network with one router and two interfaces, each a /24.
Let's say 10.0.0.1/24 on first and 10.0.1.1/24 on second. Now if
10.0.0.2/23 arps for 10.0.1.1/24 the reply will leave on a differenr
interface the request came in. And e.g. Cisco routers don't like it :-(

Arnold