[nsp] Delay in MPLS PE lookup

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Tue Jun 8 08:43:07 EDT 2004

On 8 Jun 2004 12:03:48 -0000, khiz <khiznms at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>   I have implemented L3 MPLS VPN  in the foll  test scenario
>
> CE-1 ---[PE-1]--|FR Switch|------WAN--------- |FR
> Switch|----[PE-2]--[CE-2]
>
> Everything is working absolutely fine as far as  the MPLS L3 VPN
> functionalty is concerned.
> My Concern is of the delay invloved in pinging from CE-1 to Ce-2
> PE1 and Pe-2 are talking  MP BGP . There is no intermediate P routers
> for my network
>
> Ping response from
> 1> CE 1 to CE2 (with CE -1 directly connecting to CE-2 over the L2 Frame
> relay backbone using FR encapsulation) =  20 ms
> 2>Ce-1 to CE-2 (terminating  both the CE routers on the corresponding PE
> router) =  50 ms via the MPLS VPN
>
> Is this delay expected when moving from a layer 2 connectivty to an
> MPLS  connectivity given the fact that the PEs have to do L3 lookup and
> further label association

It's really just because you have an extra routed hop in there.  With FR
direct, it's

CE1---CE2

with the PEs, it's

CE1---PE1---PE2---CE2

where PE1 has to do a routing lookup (and impose a label), and PE2 has to
pop a label and do a routing lookup.  Label operations are pretty much the
same speed as routing lookups, so I'd expect to see the same delay whether
it was MPLS-VPN or just regular IP between all 4 routers.

eric