[nsp] Colo design question

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 9 13:16:54 EDT 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Clayton Dukes wrote:

> Now I remember what it was...here's the email on the tac case I had opened:
>
> >This is Faisal Khan from CISCO SYSTEMS LAN SWITCHING TAC. I will be
> assisting you with this case.
>
> >XL switches are low end switches with a very very limited QOS capability.
> With just the queue structure of 2q1t with the >threshold of 100% for each
> queue and even that is not configurable. The CoS of 0-3 maps to the Queue #1
> and 4-7 maps to >Queue #2 . Queue #2 is serviced before Queue#1 as long as
> there are some packets in queue 2. Thats all what this switch >can do.
> >there is absolutely no policing options on the XL.

Perhaps one of the cisco folks can verify this and translate it into lay
terms.  Documentation on CIO definitely says the 3550 can do per-port
policing.  I have a number of these in service and tested policing through
them before deployment.  The ones I have are WS-C3550-48.  Actually, I
think the confusion may be the discontinued 3500XL series vs the 3550's
that replaced them.