[nsp] Catalyst 2950 & ISL

Ernest Altbart Ernest.Altbart at nextranet.at
Thu Jun 17 03:50:28 EDT 2004

Hi,

I don´t think so - AFAIK the 2950 supports trunking with 802.1Q only. I was pretty sure I read in one of the release notes that ISL is definitely not supported, but the only hint I can find about that now is in the Software configuration guide:

Note   This software release does not support trunk negotiation through the Dynamic Trunk Protocol (DTP), formerly known as Dynamic ISL (DISL). If you are connecting a trunk port to a Catalyst 5000 switch or other DTP device, use the non-negotiate option on the DTP-capable device so that the switch port does not generate DTP frames.

see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e91e.html

for more details on the 2950 and VLAN trunking.

hth

Ernest