[nsp] PIX 501 + dec traffic

Eric Pylko eric at infinitenetworks.us
Tue Jun 22 21:29:54 EDT 2004

You have to have a router that can do GRE and DECNet.  Cisco's Feature
Navigator says DECNet IV is GD in 12.2(24a) which appears to be for the
25xx, 26xx, 36xx, 7100, 7200, and 7500.  You'll probably need either the
Desktop, IP/IPX/AT/DEC, or Enterprise feature set.

You'll only need one ethernet interface on the router.  Your config would
look something like this:

hostname r1
decnet routing 1.1

interface ethernet 0
 ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0
 decnet cost 1

interface tunnel 0
 tunnel source 1.2.3.4
 tunnel destination 5.6.7.8
 decnet cost 2

hostname r2
decnet routing 3.3

interface ethernet 0
 ip address 5.6.7.8 255.255.255.0
 decnet cost 3

interface tunnel 0
 tunnel source 5.6.7.8
 tunnel destination 1.2.3.4
 decnet cost 2

That's from memory, but I think it is correct. Of course, adjust the IP
addressing and DECNet addressing to your sites.  You don't need to have an
IP address on the tunnel interface, but you could put one on there for
troubleshooting purposes.

As long as your PIX is set to encrypt the correct traffic (probably is by
default), you should be all set.

-Eric