[nsp] Cisco 7600 and uRPF

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Tue Mar 2 14:17:59 EST 2004

I have 7600 Sup2s and I want to use strict uRPF. I was looking for feedback
on the feature stability in production environments.

I was able to find the following notes ...

Cisco 7600 with Sup2 running Native IOS.
- The same mode (strict vs any) applies to all configured interfaces.

- Multipath isn't supported in hardware. The MSFC2 processes traffic in
software that has multiple
 return paths (for example, load sharing).

- Unicast RPF will allow packets with 0.0.0.0 source and 255.255.255.255
destination to pass so
  that bootp and DHCP will work.

- The Supervisor Engine 2 with PFC2 supports unicast RPF with hardware
processing for packets
  that have a single return path.

- With a Supervisor Engine 2, if you configure unicast RPF to filter with an
ACL, the PFC2
  determines whether or not traffic matches the ACL. The PFC2 sends the
traffic that matches
  the ACL to the MSFC2 for the unicast RPF check. The PFC2 also provides
hardware support for
  traffic that does not match the unicast RPF ACL, but that does match an
input security ACL.

Cisco 7600 - Configuring Network Security
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080091655.html#1021668

Cisco IOS 12.1 - Configuring Unicast Reverse Path Forwarding
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca6e0.html