[nsp] Cisco 2500 Traffic Limit and high cpu utilization.

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Mon Mar 8 13:41:49 EST 2004

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Mehmet Ali Suzen wrote:

> IOS version we are dealing is IOS version 12.1(20)
> Interfaces consist of ethernet, serial and
> group async. A LAN and dialups took gateway as this
> router.  We have a large ACL on each interaface.
> It works fine. In busy times out load gets significantly
> high. I tried to enable ip cef, but it didn't work it out.

Is CEF still running?  Did you enable it on each interface?

> What could went wrong? I will appriciate for any comment
> or an idea.

I see that you're running NAT.  Do you have lots of traffic that gets
NAT'd?  If you do a "show ip nat trans" you will see the NAT translations
currently on the router.

I brought this up because NAT, especially in large volumes, can really
hit the CPU hard.  I think at least some NAT traffic ends up getting
process-switched, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

jms