[nsp] DHCP bindings

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Thu Mar 11 21:17:37 EST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Bruce Pinsky wrote:

> | What do those two extra hex digits after the MAC address refer to?

> Actually, there are prepended digits, namely the 01.  They represent the
> address as being on an ethernet media type.  From the docs:

> 	Specifies the distinct identification of the client in dotted
> hexadecimal notation, for example, 01b7.0813.8811.66, where 01
> represents the Ethernet media type.

Odd.  They are both bridged (RBE) DSL clients.  So I suppose that counts
as ethernet.  But why would one be prepended, and one not?

> I notice that the first address you cite is actually a cisco OUI (0x00000c)
> where the second is an Apple OUI (0x000393).  Is the first one a router
> that is actually running PPPoE instead of just a client with an ethernet
> adapter?

No PPPoE at all.  The first one should be a Linksys router set to "obtain
IP address automatically" (in other words, dhcp), and the other is an
iMac.

I've got a similar linksys here, so I set up another interface on my
(non-cisco, it's isc-dhcpd) dhcp server and connected the linky wan port
to that and watched a full dhcp transaction via tcpdump.  I didn't see
anything out of the ordinary in comparison to my iBook fetching a lease.

Thanks,

Charles