[nsp] Multicast on 7204 with 256MB RAM

Jeremy Wallace jeremy at skwire.net
Tue Mar 16 17:03:31 EST 2004

I am looking for information regarding the amount of router resources
that Multicast uses on a 7204 with 256 MB RAM and an NPE-G1.  I am
looking for any information on how intensive the various Multicast
protocols are on the CPU, and how much RAM is utilized when running
PIM-SM.

Does anyone have a 7204 running as an RP in a network?  And along the RP
lines, does anyone have one peering via MSDP and receiving SAs from
outside sources?

I am also curious how CPU intensive it is for the 7204 to replicate the
streams out multiple interfaces.  Does it increase linearly for the
number of interfaces that have clients on them? Or does the CPU pretty
much stay steady whether it is one interface or many that the stream is
being sent out.

I appreciate any information that anyone may have.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy.