[nsp] Cheapest Netflow-enabled border router?

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Wed May 5 23:24:28 EDT 2004

On 5/05/2004 2:57 PM, Clinton Work wrote:

>Be careful with using netflow export on the 7600s because the v5 mls netflow
>export
>does not data fill certain fields (TCP flags). The Sup2 lacks the hardware
>support to track
>the TCP flags in the MLS netflow table.

Indeed.  For this and other reasons (netflow is on for all interfaces
once configured on any, zeroes (non flowmask related) in some output
fields on occasion), it makes the SupX hard to recommend as a border
router replacement (for an 72 NPE-G1 or an 73 NPE-G100) if you _must_ do
Netflow (for billing purposes, for example).  Netflow is not that
platform's strong point at this time (though things have improved from
the split export days, it still has a good ways to go).  Also, if I
remember correctly, sampled netflow works slightly differently (On SupX,
sampling occurs on data exported, rather than data placed into the
netflow hash/table), for what it's worth.

-andrew