[nsp] ATM design issues (PVP/PVC redundancy/failover)

Michel Renfer michel.renfer at lan.ch
Thu May 13 03:52:09 EDT 2004

Hi Paul

ATM itself cannot handle fail-over in your case. ATM VCs (PVC, SVCs
and Soft-PVCs) are always configured from NSAP (ATM) address A to
NSAP address B.

So if you need failover, you need to cover that on an upper layer.
Create VCs to both 7206 and solve then the failover with a routing
protocol. Or if you use the VCs for aggregating L2TP tunnels (DSL users)
you need to talk with the telco about session balancing.

cheers,
michel