[nsp] route-reflector setup questoins

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue May 18 19:23:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

> > RouterA (Transit)
> >   | OC48
> > RouterB ---- RouterC (Transit)
> >   \             /
> > [other ibgp routers]
> >
> > B and C are fully meshed with each other and all the other ibgp speakers.
> > All are on the same network.  My intention is to have B and C as route
> > reflectors.
>
> You can either get A to peer with C, or you can make C a route reflector
> client also (but then B is a single point of failure). It seems to make
> the most sense to make A a route reflector client of C in addition to B.
>
> As you have observed, an update to from A to B will not be propagated to
> C - this is standard IBGP propapagation rules.

Not according to cisco docs I'm looking at.  Page 43 of Chapter 12, Using
the Border Gateway Protocol for Interdomain Routing (file name as
downloaded from cisco was icsbgp4.pdf) says:

 Update from a nonclient peer -- Send the update to all clients in the
cluster.
 Update from a client peer -- Send the update to all nonclient peers and
to all client peers.
 Update from an EBGP peer -- Send the update to all nonclient peers and to
all client peers.

If A is an RR client of B, and C is a nonclient peer of B, then an update
from A to B should be sent to C, and updates from C to B should be sent to
A.