[nsp] 2000 ATM PVCs on Cisco 7200

Kinczli Zoltán Zoltan.Kinczli at Synergon.hu
Mon May 24 05:09:51 EDT 2004

hello,

  According to the data sheet one can use PA-A3 for 4096 simultaneous sessions
but there are 1024 concurrent SARon the PA.

  For me it has been an open question for a while, if the 1024 concurrent SAR limit
would cause any headache...

  If all those 4096 VCs receive/send max ETH MTU size packs (1500B, 32 cell)
distributed equally in time, than we would need 4096VC*32Cell/VC*48B/Cell,
which results in over 6MB buffer requirement, to prevent the PA from dropping cells,
just because the SAR limitation...

  There is 4MB SDRAM on the PA-A3 and 512KB SSRAM per SAR (i guess per SAR chip, not per concurrent SAR function)

  Granted, the distribution is not always so equal, avg pack sizes are less than 1500B,
but still the PA-A6 might have to be considered, i guess!

  Or am i missing something?

rgds
 --zoltan