[c-nsp] as-path access lists

Niels Bakker niels=cisco-nsp at bakker.net
Thu Nov 18 08:44:06 EST 2004

Alex,

* afoster at gammatelecom.com (Alex Foster) [Wed 17 Nov 2004, 16:37 CET]:
> Essentially, I want to receive more routes than I am at the moment -
> unfortunately the 3550 I am using to connect to Level3 will only
> support 16000 prefixes - and I cant therefore receive all routes -
> hence the as-path Filter - but this is restricting it too much.

> Is there any way to receive partial routes - and then to be selective
> about them - ie: I really don't want to receive more than +7000 this
> should be enough for me to perform the Load Balancing I am looking for.

Level(3) register their routes in an Internet Routing Registry.  You can
query those to extract them and convert them to a policy filter for your
router.  That should theoretically get you ~11000 routes (at least
that's what they're announcing to me, a peer).

For some general information about the IRR concept:
   http://www.irr.net/

RIPE NCC presentations about the RIPE IRR:
   http://www.ripe.net/training/rr/index.html

You can use tools such as peval and RtConfig from IRRToolSet (formerly
RAToolSet) to extract all Level(3) customer routes:
   ftp://ftp.ripe.net/tools/IRRToolSet/IRRToolSet-4.8.2/

Also, if anybody here has ported IRRToolSet to compile with
gcc-3.x (x >= 3) instead of <= 2.95, I'm interested.

Regards,

	-- Niels.