[c-nsp] Question about NAT Rate Limiting

Kevin Graham mahargk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:58:31 EST 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:42:35 -0600, Church, Chuck <cchurch at netcogov.com> wrote:
> This can probably save many a router from running out of RAM when the next big
> MS worm gets on an internal PC.

Being able to have a rotary overload pool would likely help as well.
In doing some high-volume NAT tests (w/ the 12.3(4)T enhancements ..
which are broken in 12.2(25)S), CPU utilzation from the NAT ager was
the major limitation (>20% and eventually spiralling out of control).
Moving to non-overloaded, NAT Ager would stay below 2%. Since there's
still per-connection entries created, the disparity was somewhat
suprising. Not sure if this is because the ager is more efficient when
connections are spread out across multiple addrs, or if overload'ing
really does increase the workload that substantially.

Whatever the cause, being able to do a PAT-fallback when a pool is
exhausted (ala example PIX configs) so that non-overloaded pools could
be used safely when clients > pool would be a huge boost in NAT
scalability (particurally in those worm scenarios).

Haven't experimented w/ sepecifying multiple pools w/ the same
list/route-map, but given the lack of prioritization, I don't see how
this could work in present code..