[c-nsp] Setting "weight 255" as default for customer BGP with uRPF strict

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Sun Nov 21 12:01:56 EST 2004

Is anyone setting "weight 255" for all customer neighbor sessions?  I
was looking at doing this for multi-homed
customers, so that asymmetrical routing, split prefix announcements,
etc don't break uRPF (strict).  Then I just thought,
well, why make a special case for multi-homed customers, what harm is
there on setting weight to all edge neighbor
sessions.  I mean its only going to effect packets on that local
router, and if the packet has gotten so far as to actually
end up on the router directly connected to the peer, it just seems the
best thing to do to hand it to the peer.

I realize loose uRPF is the better solution, but with regards to strict
uRPF, does anyone see any caveats to doing this?
(not all routers on the network are running code that support loose
mode, and I can only phase in a few changes at a time).

Brian