GSRs and growing bgp tables WAS:AW: [c-nsp] Growing BGP tables

Neil J. McRae neil at colt.net
Tue Nov 23 05:10:31 EST 2004

Gunther,

> When referring to the gige card do you mean the GE-GBIC-SC-B ?
> As far as I know that's the latest gige card for the gsr family.

I was refering to the Trident card which has many bugs and issues
and is a prime exhibit in my hall of vendor shame [along side the
VIP2-50].

> I have a gsr8/40 with an ordinary GRP (the fist version /
> a-version) that has only 256Megs of ram and runs 3 full
> views. currently there are 27479020b free so I can hold about
> 200.000 routes I'd expect. Soft-reconfiguration is disabled
> of course since this would cost about 10 to 15 MB Ram.

You really need to upgrade this to a card with 512M asap.

> The limit might be my ge-gbic-sc-b card since it has only
> 128MB route memory.
>   FRU:  Linecard/Module: GE-GBIC-SC-B=
>         Route Memory: MEM-GRP/LC-128=
>         Packet Memory: MEM-LC1-PKT-512= On the linecard
> itself there are 10759088 bytes free so that's 10 MB and so
> I'm going hit the limit sooner or later. Argh.
>
> Looks like I'll have to filter out all those nasty /24 and /23s.

And add a default route to one of your upstreams!

> I'm currently looking for another Cisco.
> What would you say: GRP with 256MB or GRP-B with 512MB?
> GE-GBIC-SC or GE-GBIC-SC-B. Both have 128MB but can be
> upgraded to 256MB. Is that necessary... And what do you
> think: when will this happen?

In my view all line cards need to have 256M memory at the minimum,
and GRP-B with 512M is the minimum config.

My policy is always to buy cards that are fully loaded with memory
and the PRP-2 is very good in this respect.

When it will happen? When you least expect it or need it. Do
this upgrade now and don't let the network run you.

What is somewhat dissapointing is that Cisco must realise that there
are millions of routers with inadequate memory out their and I've
not seen much in the way of communicating how acutely critical
this issue is.

Regards,
Neil.