[c-nsp] output queues for MLPPP T1 links

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Wed Nov 24 12:13:57 EST 2004

Hello,

I'm looking for guidance on changing the output queues for
MLPPP using two to four T1 links (PA-MC-T3 on 7206vxr/npe300).

I note that the default is "Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)" and recent
ddos attacks here fill these up pretty quickly.

Some questions:

a) should I care about full output queues during ddos attacks?
   Will having bigger queues help ride out the storms?

b) if I change the queue for the multilink interface
   (hold-queue 1024 out) then do I need to do it on the
   individual T1 interfaces?

c) The range presented by IOS is <0-4096>.
   Given that wide range, it seems strange to me that 40 is the default.
   Nevertheless, I'ld appreciate any advice on appropriate settings.

I know that it's probably the case that the best answer
to this is "it depends" but I'm looking for more :-)

Thanks,
-mark