[c-nsp] 7500 / Images w/o ethernet support?

Antonio Querubin tony at aloha.net
Thu Nov 25 21:46:28 EST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Bill Wichers wrote:

> Regardless of the memory configuration of the VIP2, it should still be
> detected and listed in a `show hard`. The only thing I can think of that
> would cause problems is if the VIP2 had too little DRAM to hold the
> software download from some release of IOS, but I've never heard of that
> happening before. Might be worth checking the amount of DRAM on the VIP2's
> you have though. The 64 MB upgrades are inexpensive and are probably
> worthwhile for most applications.

Actually that doesn't match with my own experience.  The memory
configuration does determine which VIP2 you have.  A VIP2 without enough
DRAM will not show up in the hardware list under IOS 12.3 and possibly
12.2 as well.  If you downgrade to an earlier IOS version it will show up.
This is actually a documented problem in CCO but I don't have the Cisco
URL handy.  It's easily reproducible by moving DRAM around between
different VIP2s.