[c-nsp] Re: T1 circuits over OC3

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 1 11:03:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, RH List Account wrote:
> Yup, Jay, you understand my issue perfectly.

Well, almost...

> But the thing I still don't get is, do you, and if so how do you break out
> the T1 clients?
>
> Client T1 --> LEC --> ATM-OC3 --> LS1010 --> OC3 --> Router
> 						|	  (local)     |
> 						|			  |
> 						\-------- T1 -------/
>

> Or
>
> Client T1 --> LEC --> ATM-OC3 --> LS1010 --> 1.5Mbps PVC in OC3 --> Router
>

> Obviously the latter would preferable, no matter how cheap the T1 cards are.

I was thinking of a symmetric scenario, where there's an ATM switch
delivering up to 4 T1s (along with whatever other links) at each end:

    gear --<T1>-----\
    gear --<T1>-----\
    gear --<T1>------ LS1010 --<OC-3>--\
  router --<OC-3/DS3>--/                |

                                  (carrier cloud)
    gear --<T1>-----\                   |
    gear --<T1>-----\                   |
    gear --<T1>------ LS1010 --<OC-3>--/
    gear --<T1>-----/   /
  router --<OC-3/DS3>--/

If the picture Chris Boyd sent is closer to what you have in mind, then the
circuit emulation cards probably don't work for your situation.