[c-nsp] VRF question

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Oct 7 13:23:47 EDT 2004

You can do MPLS without VRF's.

You really don't buy yourself anything doing
MPLS in your scenario.  It just adds another
level of complexity to the mix so I wouldn't
do it.

You would do MPLS when you need something like:
VPN's
To take BGP out of the core
TE

You don't have either of those so you probably
shouldn't mess with it.

The raw switching improvement isn't that much at
all anyway and once you do MPLS you can't do
a lot of other features that are done on IP
packets so you lose some functionality.

Rodney