[c-nsp] Pix DSL problem

Baker Gareth Gareth.Baker at hullcc.gov.uk
Wed Oct 20 10:48:33 EDT 2004

Hi

I'm having problems getting a Pix 501 to work over DSL.

I'm using a Dlink DSL 300T Adsl Modem connected to the Pix's outside
interface. The DSL connection is using Dynamic IP allocation and the PIX is
setup to use 'outside interface dhcp setroute'.

The 501 comes pre-configured to work in this setup. I see it get an IP
address and a 'show route' reveals that it successfully receives an IP and
the default route is the outside interface. But no traffic gets to the
outside interface (I did a debug packet outside and never saw any traffic
from an internal PC)

If I manually configure the dynamic IP to the outside interface & give a
default route as listed in the log on the DSL modem it works fine. The
problem seems to be related to the Gateway and the way this is passed via
DHCP.

I've done a bit of digging and this seems to be an accepted practise using a
Pix 501 with DHCP on the outside through DSL modem.

Anyone any ideas?

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com