[c-nsp] OC12 capable router (small) ?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Oct 20 17:05:39 EDT 2004

> You could use the 7200 with the NP-G1 that provides 3 GigE interfaces
> on the controller and leaves your slots open for your OC-12
> interface.  I'm not sure what flavors of OC-12 are available for the
> 7200 offhand; we use the OC-12 SRP so I know the box is capable from
> a throughput perspective.

As far as I know there is no such thing as a "normal" OC-12 (STM-4) PA,
only the OC-12 SRP PA.

Another point to remember is that while the NPE-G1 is much more capable
than the NPE-300 and -400 (we have several NPE-G1 in our network), it is
still based on software forwarding. In our lab we measured the NPE-G1 at
up to around 630k pps - as far as I can see this is slightly less than
one OC-3/STM-1 full of minimum sized packets. YMMV.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no