[c-nsp] backup quandry

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Oct 20 19:07:23 EDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> I know this is a loaded question but...
>
> why is this "but I won't be going to 12.3 anytime soon"?
>
> Why am I asking?  Sometimes I get the feeling people
> always make decisions based on what they hear and
> typically we only hear bad news.  People don't send
> an email much and say "hey, I upgraded and it all
> went smooth."

99.9 percent of the time, when we upgrade it all goes very smoothly.

> Trust me, I'm not saying we don't have bugs.
> If we didn't I'd be out of a job. :)
>
> But I do like to hear customer's opinions sometimes
> when I see things like this.

Generically, I can answer why we often times don't upgrade.

*  No need.  If there are no security patches and no new features, and
   I have solid performance with older code, there's no business sense
   to upgrade, especially if there is an real or perceived increased
   risk of bugs, like when going from a GD to an LD or ED image.

*  Code bloat.  For the same feature set, or at least the features I
   might use on a given router, upgrading may require the purchase of
   additional flash or RAM.  Have you priced "Genuine Cisco" memory
   recently? [0]

But, hey, if there is something cool that increases performance or adds
a useful feature, I'm all over it and have no problem upgrading.

[0]  Yes, I know it comes off the same assembly line at Micron as what
Micron sells under the Crucial label, and I buy Crucial memory at about
1/20th to 1/50th the price of Cisco.  TAC has never had an issue with
this or tried to blame third-party RAM for an issue.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/