[c-nsp] Re: backup quandry

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Thu Oct 21 11:34:22 EDT 2004

I'll second this with a recent example.  Most of our routers are
running different variants of 12.1(something).  When I arrived here a
month or so ago I immediately started planning to upgrade them so as to
get them to a GD release, and to get them to all the same revision.

Trouble is, we have a pretty mixed bag of routers - 2 7206vxr, a 3640,
a 3660, 2600s, 2500s, 1720s.

My other prime goal in upgrading them was to take them to a code that
supported ssh so I could turn off telnet.  It's 2004!  Why are we still
using telnet!?!  ;)

Two issues came up:

1.	If I want SSH 2 support, I have to go with 12.3T code.  It's ED code
and that makes me nervous especially on border routers with ATM.

2.  If I wasn 12.3T code on on any of the routers besides the 7206, I
have to upgrade the internal RAM and Flash.  For example, 12.3T11 for a
3640 takes up 24MB of space.  The internal Flash is at 16MB, and the
PCMCIA slot in these routers only takes up to a MAX of 20MB cards (WTF,
Cisco?!?).

So I discarded the requirement for SSH 2 support, even though it makes
me nervious to go with SSH 1 since there have been known
vulnerabilities in that code.  12.2.26GD fits just fine in all of my
routers without upgrades, and it supports SSH 1.

Roger Weeks
Mendocino Community Network