[c-nsp] BGP on Catalyst 5505???

Hudson Delbert J Contr 61 CS/SCBN Delbert.Hudson at LOSANGELES.AF.MIL
Wed Sep 1 12:24:18 EDT 2004

thanx,

you illustrated my gist exactly...

the operative word being that the box USED to run BGP...

the other being that the 55xx max mem out at 128mb
and thats the min recommended for full bgp table on cisco
routers...

get a 65xx box or bigger if no $$ restraints and be done with it.

~piranha
-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Konstantin
Barinov
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 9:16 AM
To: Mark
Cc: cisco-nsp
Subject: Re[2]: [c-nsp] BGP on Catalyst 5505???

Hi,

Here's one 5505 + RSFC (pretty similar to RSM) that now routes ~700M,
CPU load on RSFC is about 20%. There are about 100 vlan interfaces
and only handful of them have access-lists enabled. There's also eigrp
running. Some time ago it did bgp also (of course, not full table). :)

Traffic from/to vlan interface with access-list enabled (and another fancy
features) will be switched by CPU instead of MLS. This degrades performance
very much. I guess 5505 + RSFC without access-lists will be able to route
at "wire speed" of it's limited buses.

In general, 5505 is very old but very stable box. I like it.

br
--
Konstantin Barinov
INFONET AS, Tallinn, Estonia