[c-nsp] Multi-VRF on Cat3550 vs 3750

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Sep 2 08:48:38 EDT 2004

> Been buying a mixture of Cat3550s and Cat3750s (each with EMI).
>
> I've just noticed Multi-VRFs aren't supported on the 3750 but are on the
> 3550. Is this a market share decision to get you to buy the 3750 Metro?

Seems likely.

> I'd buy 3550s but they don't currently support IP Source Guard which is
> another feature I'd like. But then that's not on the 3750 Metro
> either...

You should be aware that the 3750 Metro is more closely related to
the 3550 than to the rest of the 3750 line.

We still buy 3550s - not enough interesting stuff on the 3750 Metro
to make them worth buying, and some large disappointments (1024
simultaneous VLANs and 12000 MAC addresses is not nearly good
enough). The MPLS stuff *might* have been interesting if it had had
a decent price tag, but it doesn't. IMHO Cisco missed the boat with
the 3750 Metro.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no