[c-nsp] Per packet Load balancing

Amol Sapkal amolsapkal at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:08:08 EDT 2004

Hi,

I got a client who connects to me on L3 on 2 seperate routers.
I have assigned him a pool of /28 (16 IPs).

The total traffic requirement of the client is 2 Megs. One of the IPs,
in the above pool hogs 90% of the total available badnwidth.

Now, the connectivity of the client router (CE) with my router R1 and
R2 is via Nortel FR switches.
Initially, the client used to connect to R1 only. But, due to banwidth
design limitations on the FR switch, I had to connect it on IP with
the other router R2.
What I did was,
1.Created a PVC 'Y' from the CE which ran upto R2. Made this 1 Megs
fat. Cut down the original PVC 'X' between CE and R1 to 1Megs.
2. Put 2 default routes on the CE to point to these 2 PVCs. This made
sure that my outgoing traffic (from the client router) is load
balanced.
3.R1, on which the CE initially pumped in 2 Megs, is the one which
announces the /24 pool containing the client IPs to the Internet.
4. On R1, I put 2 static routes to the /28 client pool. One points to
the original PVC 'X' and the other pointed to R2 (there is a PVC
running between R1,R2 )

So basically, what I am trying to achieve is 'incoming traffic load
balancing' wrt CE.
This was needed because, the traffic for the /28 pool entered my
network on R1 and I do not want the entire 2 Megs to pass to CE
directly. So I put 2 static routes on R1 so that half the traffic is
diverted via R2 to CE (with an latency overhead)

But for some reason, the load balancing is not happening.
'ip cef' was enabled on R1 before, which I thought, was causing the
problems (If I am not wrong, flows are mapped as a  combination of Src
IP/Destn IP to outgoing interface)
After disabling ip cef, I still see that the incoming traffic on CE is
not being load balanced.

Any suggestions?

--
Warm Regds,