[c-nsp] duplex negotiation on a 6500

Mark Boolootian booloo at ucsc.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:56:10 EDT 2004

Question:  How do I turn off duplex negotiation on a 6500 running
IOS and set the duplex to nonnegotiated "full"?

I see that Cisco's advice is to allow auto-negotiation. But my ISP
wants duplex negotiation off. My question is, on the Sup720 with
IOS, do I have a choice on Gig-E GBIC ports? The commands that
would work in other situations (CatOS, GSR) simply don't seem to
be there. And 'show int status' looks like:

Gi2/4 HPR Sunnyvale (Com connected routed full 1000 1000BaseLH

Note that it says "full" rather than "a-full". That seems
inconsistant with the docs. The docs don't say that negotiation
is required, but neither do they say how to turn it off.

This is:

Version 12.2(17d)SXB1 ; the interface is WS-X6516A-GBIC

Thanks.