[c-nsp] Per packet Load balancing

Carlson Per Per.Carlson at banetele.com
Tue Sep 7 03:29:14 EDT 2004

Hi Amol.

What makes you think loadbalaning will help you here?

You had one 2M line (CE-R1), which is split up into two 1M lines
(CE-R1 and CE-R2). The only thing you have accompished so far
is making the routing more complex, while not increasing the
available bandwidth for CE.

> But for some reason, the load balancing is not happening.
> 'ip cef' was enabled on R1 before, which I thought, was causing the
> problems (If I am not wrong, flows are mapped as a  combination of Src
> IP/Destn IP to outgoing interface)

What do you see? Is there some loadbalancing or none at all? What does
'ip cef <ip-address>' where <ip-adress> is the /28-net show? An alternative,
but not the recommended on (see posting from eralier in this list), is
making CEF load-balance per-packet instead of per-destination.

> After disabling ip cef, I still see that the incoming traffic on CE is
> not being load balanced.

That's normal. If you want loadbalancing you must use some protocol that
supports it, like CEF or OSPF.

One simple way to loadbalance a bit is:

R1:
ip route <IP-host> 255.255.255.255 CE
ip route <IP-net> 255.255.255.240 R2
ip route <IP-net> 255.255.255.240 CE 250

R2:
ip route <IP-net> 255.255.255.240 CE

where <IP-host> is the host you are talking about, and <IP-net>
is the full IP-network at CE.

This will dedicate one of the 1M lines for traffic to the
host, while the onther line is used for all other hosts.
A floating route on R1 is added for redundancy (if R2 is
no longer reachable from R1).

Per