[c-nsp] Sup720 won't log link status changes? WTF?!

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Tue Sep 14 15:00:34 EDT 2004

Ok, this is just a mid-afternoon rant, but I'm just stunned by this.

Last week we began converting our campus backbone from Sup2/MSFC2s over to
Sup720-3BXL cards.  A painful process since we're also moving from hybrid
to IOS.

Along the way I discover that the logs on the routers no longer show when
a port physically go up or down.  It will trap, but nothing actually
occurs in the log files.  Of course, the "logging event link-status"
command is still accepted, it just doesn't work.

So, opening a case with TAC about this rather obvious shortcoming results
in the typic "it's supposed to be that way" response along with an
invitation to submit a feature request.

(Relevant release note buried so deep nobody could find it):
	http://tinyurl.com/4a7kb

GARGH!

Who was the marketing genius that decided people wouldn't want to know
when ports went up or down?!??!  Is there _any_ logical reason for this
that anyone can figure out?

Ok, end of rant.  Time to enjoy the last nice days of the fall.

Robert Hayden
Senior Network Engineer
University of Wisconsin Madison