[c-nsp] Sup720 won't log link status changes? WTF?!

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Sep 14 15:26:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:00:34PM -0500, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
> Who was the marketing genius that decided people wouldn't want to know
> when ports went up or down?!??!  Is there _any_ logical reason for this
> that anyone can figure out?

Spoke to one of our Telco providers today - they tried to convince us
that it would be much better if they would deliver our SDSL lines via an
"IP Layer 3 VPN" instead of dedicated ATM VCs.

"That way, all the problems that you keep reporting about line outages
will go away" (of course, most of those are ATM VCs dropping due to
lost ATM OAMs in their network, which we won't see anymore if changing
to an L3 VPN...).

So you need to look at it from the bright side: "no more port outages"...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de