[c-nsp] NPE-400 vs. NSE-1 for ATM-DSL aggregation

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Sep 16 13:04:12 EDT 2004

We're running a 7206VXR with NPE-300 for DSL aggregation on an ATM DS-3
and are seeing CPU creeping up.  I'm considering the NPE-400 or the NSE-1
as a replacement.  The NSE-1 is end-of-sale but the literature implies
that it it tailored for this type of service.  On the other hand, the
NPE-400 is still current manufacture, has a faster processor, and takes
more RAM, and the PXF code may not be well supported by future IOS.

Any suggestions on which would be the better replacement engine in this
scenario?  Yes, I know about the 1G, but OSI layer 8 (the financial layer)
is having compatibility issues with that solution.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/