[c-nsp] GRE performance

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Sep 29 14:17:52 EDT 2004

I looked up some test data on this and here
is a summary of what I see.

A VIP2-50 can do about 40% of an OC3 for a no
drop rate for 64 byte packets with raw switching.

For dGRE over one tunnel the performance drops
about 23% to about 2 * 95 Kpps for 64 byte packets
and for 100 GRE tunnels it's about 2 * 67 Kpps.

A VIP4-80 for 64 byte packets running over 3
GRE tunnels is 2 * 146 Kpps for a no drop rate.

For 512 byte packets and greater a 4-80 can do
an OC3 at linerate for dGRE.

I don't see any test above that rate.  The
test were just done on an OC3 POS PA.

Rodney