[c-nsp] Serial Switch

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Tue Apr 5 23:07:24 EDT 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Richard Danielli wrote:

> Digi-Board   may be able to help you out
>
> or and old Cisco 2500  - I have an AS5100 that could do what you need ...

I realize thisis a Cisco list, but another possibility is the Livingston
Portmaster 2 series of terminal servers.  These were made in 10 and 30
port flavors, and are almost bulletproof.  Probably easier to find on the
secondary market than the 2511 Cisco kit that is popular with those who
are preparing for CCIE lab tests.  The Livingston Portmasters have full-
size DB-25 connectors for RS-232 connections.  Unless you're lucky enough
to find Cisco term servers with the RJ option, the Cisco cables can be
pricey.

We use the Livingston gear for this, have owned some of it from new when
we had stacks of 14.4 modems connected to it for dialup ISP service.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/