[c-nsp] New Cisco Switch?

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 07:56:47 EDT 2005

John Neiberger wrote:

> Well, then. Cisco is getting closer to the HP deal. They offer free
> software upgrades. I'll have to go look at the details of their
> limited lifetime warranty, and I'll have to figure out how I can get
> free TAC support from them. :)

We had a number of 3500s from the same batch go 'pop' a while back, and
after installing our hot-spare switch, our supplier sent us a new 3500XL
(or in two cases, 3550s because they were out of 3500s) and collected
the old one within a couple of days.

For this reason, and because the IOS upgrades are free, we only get
SMARTnet on bigger kit where it's not appropriate to keep on-site
spares.  Of course, I keep an 8x5xNBD contract on a couple of switches
in case we need TAC support - reproduce the problem in the lab, and call
the TAC.

Peter.

--
Peter Hicks | e: my.name at poggs.co.uk | g: 0xE7C839F4 | w: www.poggs.com