[c-nsp] Experimental IOS Images

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Apr 11 13:48:19 EDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:32:46AM -0600, John Neiberger wrote:
> I'm trying to help someone at another forum with a router boot problem
> and I have a suspicion that they're running experimental IOS releases. I
> can't find any information about these releases on CCO and I wanted to
> see if someone here could confirm that these are not meant for
> production boxes.
>
> Here are the images I've seen mentioned so far:
>
> c5350-is-mz.121-5.xM3.bin
> c5350-is-mz.122-2.XA4.bin
>
> And, from show version:
>
> ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(2r)XD1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
> BOOTFLASH: 5350 Software (C5350-BOOT-M), Experimental Version
> 12.1(20000922:142008) [nag-flo_t_0110 101]
>
> That seems to bolster my argument that this guy is running experimental
> images on the box and is now wondering why he's having problems.
>
> Do any of you know anything about these images?

	well, in this case it looks like the image is in the bootflash:

	the question is what does the rest say in "sh ver"

	I've seen real products ship with 'Experimental' ROM: images
which work just fine.  Unless he's running the -boot- image as the
production image, this is just something booring here you've displayed,
the question is does the first line in "sh ver" say that?

	Part 2 of this is how can cisco work to clean up this output
to make the software easier to identify..

	I suggest you take a closer look and you'll see there is
really no issue with what they're running.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net